This hearty lentil soup will keep you warm on winter nights. It’s a good source of vegetarian protein and has only 179 calories per serving. Get the recipe.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 lb. dry lentils, sorted, rinsed
- 6 cups low-sodium organic vegetable (or chicken) broth
- Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- Heat oil in large, saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and carrots; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Add lentils and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, covered, at a gentle boil for 30 minutes, or until lentils are soft. (Add additional warm water if soup becomes too thick.)
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.